Since 1939, Detroit Audubon has worked to protect birds and their habitats through engaging people, communities, and policymakers in conservation work. We bring nature and people together in a way that serves both. Together with our volunteers, partners, and supporters, we foster the preservation of clean air, water, wetlands, grasslands, woodlands, spaces that birds depend upon to survive and thrive.
Detroit Audubon is one of two National Audubon chapters in Michigan with over 6,000 members. We serve six counties throughout Southeastern Michigan. We invite you to partner with us, Metro Detroit’s most passionate conservation advocates. Through your investment in Detroit Audubon’s events, programs, and community engagement , we can do even more to protect birds and the environment we share.
To download our Sponsorship Packages PDF, click here.
- Field Trips: Support our rich list of field trips that gather birders of all ages and experience levels to learn more about birds and their habitats. Field trips attract about 5,700 people annually and occur within the city of Detroit and as far away as Canada and Port Huron. Your support helps minimize the cost to participants.
- Detroit Bird City: Help us create and maintain bird habitat in underused Detroit Parks. Since its inception in 2019, Detroit Bird City has transformed 36 acres of underused land into vibrant, bird-friendly meadows that also beautify Detroit neighborhoods making access to green spaces easy and close-by.
- Black Tern Research: Help us continue our Tern Research that carefully monitors Black tern nesting. This ongoing research involves creating artificial nests for these threatened birds, educating others about Black Terns, and communicating with communities surrounding the nesting area about the importance of protecting Black Terns.
- Safe Passage: Support our effort to encourage builders, universities, business owners, and homeowners to include safe passage measures that help protect birds from window collisions and losing their way because of lights. The purchase and installment of these safety measures can be costly, especially for small business owners. Your support would help us help them, and of course, help birds.
- Flyway Magazine: Our members receive our quarterly Flyway magazine that features educational articles about birds, bird habitat, and the people who work to protect them, wonderful photography from many of our members, and notices about upcoming field trips and events. We print and mail Flyway to over 1,000 members, and frequently distribute the magazine at events.
- Public Education and Presentations: Support us as we take our field trips on the road! We are frequently asked to give presentations on a number of topics to clubs, senior living facilities, schools, libraries, and nature centers. We do all that we can to oblige, but having the time and resources to prepare, as well as the time and staff to present can be a challenge. With your sponsorship, we may never need to turn down a request to share important information about birds, bird habitats, butterflies, native plants, and more. The more people who know about the natural world, the more likely it will be protected.
Event-Specific Opportunities for Sponsorship
Fundraisers: Fundraisers could have a greater impact with your sponsorship! In 2023 we have planned three exciting fundraisers: the March screening of “Pheasants of Detroit,” an award-winning film, along with a silent auction was a great success. In September we will host Raptors on the River, a Detroit River cruise that includes a crash course on spotting raptors with some of the most skilled birders in metro-Detroit. We plan to start Bird Brain Trivia Night in November. This will be a fun way to test your knowledge about birds and bird-related trivia. Each event demands a great deal of planning, reserving venues (with accompanying costs), and gathering materials needed to make the event a success. Without sponsorship, a good deal of the funds raised are needed to cover the cost of the event. With sponsorship, we can use more of the donations toward our conservation efforts.
Volunteer Appreciation Event: Our volunteers are vital to our organization. They lead field trips, write articles for our Flyway magazine, share their photography, create tabling materials, and help us spread the word about Detroit Audubon by working at events. We celebrate our volunteers each year in August with a luncheon in a beautiful setting, speakers on a variety of environmental topics, and an awards ceremony recognizing five volunteers who have gone beyond our expectations. A sponsorship would make this important event better than ever, and it would ease our burden of covering the cost of thanking our vital group of volunteers.
Recognition and Marketing
As a corporate sponsor, we offer your company a positive introduction to our growing community of bird advocates. Some of the ways we offer exposure might include:
• Inclusion in Detroit Audubon’s communications channels such as our bi-weekly email newsletter (distribution 8,000+)
• Mention of your support and/or logo on the Detroit Audubon website
• Acknowledgement on Social media (8,000+ followers)
• Offering a special member-only benefit related to your company or product (6,000+ current members)
• Inclusion in event-specific materials such as the participant registration page, signage, verbal recognition to participants, or a corporate message
• Opportunities to participate in our events or programs through attendance, meeting speakers or other VIP guests, and employee volunteerism
• Detroit Audubon’s Flyway magazine mailed to members (1,000+)
Unrestricted cash donations provide Detroit Audubon with the greatest flexibility to act effectively on conservation issues that matter most to local birds. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on the generosity of our community, including corporate partners, to power our mission. We can customize any promotional strategy to align with your company’s marketing interests and budget.
Please contact our Executive Director Gretchen Abrams at email@example.com or 313.588.1015 for more information.