“Detroit: Take a Walk on its Wild Side”
November 5, 2016
Co-sponsored by and held at the Belle Isle Nature Zoo
Join is Saturday November 5th for our Annual Conference!
Lunch will be available for $10.
Please reserve your lunch by October 30th here: https://goo.gl/forms/UdNzfZLWnWzNrxz63
Annual Conference Schedule:
- 8:00-9:30 am Birding on Belle Isle led by Allen Chartier. Meet in Nature Zoo Parking Lot
- 9:45 am Welcome with Amy Green, Curator of the Belle Isle Nature Zoo and Jim Bull, President of Detroit Audubon.
- 10 am Kirtland’s Warbler Sky Art in Allen Park – Lindemann Elementary School—Art Teacher Rachel Tapiani, students, and administrators.
- 10:35 Keynote Speaker Guy Williams, CEO Detroiter’s Working For Environmental Justice
- 11:15 am Panel on the Green on Detroit
- Question: What is being done or planned to make Detroit a “Green City” especially plans or prospects or redeveloping the city with a “rural” feel with native grasslands, woodlands, and wetlands and what can average citizens do to help?
- Diane Nelson, Greening of Detroit
- Victoria Byrd Olivier, Detroit Future City
- Dan Rieden, City of Detroit Planning Department
- 12:00 pm Peregrine Falcons in Detroit and Southeast Michigan with Barb Baldinger
- 12:30 pm Lunch—orders were needed in advance.
- 1:00 pm Detroit Audubon Annual Report
- Retrospective of Detroit Audubon in 2016 with Terra Weiland
- Young Birder Scholarship Reports with Jarred Zaporski and Corinn Jessen
- Teacher Scholarship Report with Zakiya Jackson
- 1:45 pm Panel on the Importance and Care Of Native Grasslands
- Bob Grese, Landscaper Architecture, U of M School of Natural Resources and Environment
- Sylvia Taylor, U of M School of Natural Resources
- Representative of Friends of Ojibway Prairie (Windsor, Ontario)
- 2:45 pm Comeback of Bald Eagles in Detroit with Chris Mensing, US and Fish and Wildlife Service
- 3:15 pm Common Terns on Belle Isle and Terns of Lake St. Clair/Detroit River; Lake Erie with Tom Schneider, Curator of Birds, Detroit Zoo.
- 3:45 pm End of Conference
- Optional End of Day Tour of Gabriel Richard Park Birding Spot
Please note: State Park Recreation passport sticker on license plate or day pass required for entry to Belle Isle
Please let us know about you lunch order here: https://goo.gl/forms/UdNzfZLWnWzNrxz63
To pay before the event: please send a check or money order to Detroit Audubon 4605 Cass Avenue Detroit, MI 48201.
To pay day of: we can accept cash, check, or credit card.
You can also pay online with Paypal